Stripes have been trendy in the world of fashion for a long time. In terms of home fashion, the arrival of stripes has been a tad delayed. The Elle Decor Magazine highlights stripes as the trend for 2016.
Decorating your home with stripes will not only make your rooms look striking, it will also add a sense of space, just as vertical stripes on shirts make people look taller.
You could incorporate stripes in your space in several ways:
- If you want to your room to make a bold stripey statement, painting one of your walls with stripes is the way to go. It’s also not necessary that you use one of the four walls in your room. You could also get creative and paint the ceiling or use striped tiles for the floor.
- If you do not want to go for the jugular with stripes, you could also try more subtle ways of incorporating them. Pillow covers, bed covers, cushion covers, sofa covers, table covers, carpets and curtains are a great way to make your rooms look stark and charming.
- In terms of colour, contrast works really well with striped patterns. Black and white, blue and white, etc. You could also try analogous colours. Try to avoid complementary colours because unless done right, they tend to look distracting and disconnected.
- In terms of spacing, you could try different styles. Wide stripes work well for a royally spacious look, especially on walls. Slender stripes add a sense of depth to your room and also increase the sense the height. You could also try a look wherein the stripes vary in width and impart a funky look to your space – these work best with accessories such as carpets and cushion covers, curtains and the like.
- The direction of the stripes also affects the way in which your space is perceived. Horizontal stripes of course, add a sense of width and vertical ones, a sense of height. You could get a little creative and try diagonal stripes or zigzags, but they must be done very carefully.
While stripes look stunning, they are a difficult pattern to work with. It is advisable that before you begin, you are absolutely sure as to the kind of look you want for your room. Ensure also that you also know if stripes work for your space. If you don’t, we suggest that you get in touch with our panel of experts who have a special eye for detail and can help guide you.